So here it is, 2017! Last year, my goals didn’t go as planned – I did a lot (you can check out the page here!) but I didn’t do everything I wanted to.
This year, I want to travel, and write, and read. Be happy and cook more interesting meals and swim more. Try yoga. See more authors in conversation and join in with more bookish discussions online. Use angel cards.
I want to go back to university and truly, properly get in involved. I don’t think I was ‘ready’ for university until about half way through my first term. I’m not going to try and make up for lost time, but rather I am going to try and use the time I have in the future to do university with all of the experiences I want to take away, and to do it how I want to.
I want to say ‘yes’ more, and not question something that I want to do! If I want to do that open mic night, or go to that party, even if what I do is on my own, I want to say yes!
I have a new book I want to write. I think it will be difficult, but you know when something happens, or you have an idea, and everything just fits together? It feels like you’re finally letting out a breath. This idea has been at the back of my mind since I’ve had it, and I know it is something I need to write, or at least start researching and planning, this year.
But not just that! I have my novel The Princess and the Storyteller to finish. I have exercise to do, and weight to lose, and a tummy to tone, and hair to experiment with, and dye, and grow. I have good chocolate to eat, and good friends to talk to, 4ams to stay awake until, books to read, musicians to see and walks to take. Dogs to pet, cats I hope don’t scratch.
This bit might seem romanticised, or cliche, or untrue, but what I am about to say really happened. At around 00:02 on 01/01/17, I felt a tightening in my chest and stomach. I’m quite used to feelings of anxiety now, but this was different. It took me quite a few seconds for me to figure out what the feeling was: it was excitement. And I hope that is an appropriate beginning to my 2017.
New Year’s Resolutions & Things I Want to Do
- My Goodreads challenge has (currently) been set at 36. Considering I read 151 books last year, this might seem pretty absurd! But here’s why: I want to read a classic per month. I have started a new book club, so there is one of those per month. And finally, I am going to have a lot of work and hopefully do a lot this year, so there is one book a month for a book I am reading for personal pleasure, and nothing else.
- I am going to try and buy the least amount of books possible. I spent quite a lot on books last year, but also I acquired a lot of books, and I just can’t read that many in one go. So buying less books! I want to buy books that I am hyped about (aka RICK RIORDAN and Sarah J Maas) and books where I meet the author & get them signed, but other than that, nada.
- I want to read more books from my shelves! I said this one before, not reading from the library, but I feel like I should turn to my shelves first and not greedily look for more. Sure, there are some books that I will get out from the library, but not as many as I have been.
- I still want to finish my Harry Potter reread!
- Like last year, I want to experiment in more genres and with poetry. I am really proud of my poetry since September, but I definitely want to write more of it!
- I want to finish The Princess and the Storyteller. I only have 10-20k more words to do so I’m hoping to get that done by the end of January!
- I want to plan the aforementioned book I was very excited about. It is something I feel I have to write.
- I want to write more short stories 🙂
- And share more of my writing! I want to put more, longer pieces of fiction on my blog, and also go to more open mics.
- Try and get published more! Yay!
- To give blood is on my list once more!
- I also want to continue on with my photo a day photolog.
- I would like to write and film a short film.
- I want to travel somewhere completely on my own. I’ve already started to plan and save up for this!
- I want to exercise and try yoga and swim more.
So there are some things I want to do in 2017 (what can I say, I am an ambitious person!).
Here’s to 2017, here’s to me, and here’s to you. Make it what you want it to be, my friends. The world has many oysters and you can discover them if you want to!
And something I am really looking forward to? Many more blog posts to come!