WORDS! It’s basically how our entire society is made up. Look around you now, and you can probably name tonnes of things and read thousands of words. People often have favourite words. And here are my top 5.
- Glockenspiel. Something about the way this word sounds just does it for me.
Meaning: a wooden musical instrument.
- Ethereal. My mum introduced this word to me a while back. I love it.
Meaning: extremely delicate and light in a way that seems not to be of this world.
- Jiggery-pokery. Believe it or not, this is an actual word in the English dictionary. How cool is that. I’m going to make it a mission to use it as often as possible.
Meaning: trickery, hocus-pocus, fraud, humbug.
- Moonbow. It sounds like some sort of unicorn.
- Alas! (Has to be used with an exclamation mark, I mean, come on.) Dumbledore and Frank Turner both use this word. And it’s just super cool. And a favourite of one of my English teachers.
Meaning: an exclamation of sorrow, grief, pity or concern.
What are yours?